Sight and hearing loss

There are a number of local, specialist services available in Warrington for people who are blind, visually impaired, deaf or who have a hearing loss, including Warrington Visual Impairment Centre the Warrington Disability Partnership and Warrington Deaf Club.

If you or someone you know needs some support take a look on this website or contact the Adult Social Care First Response team.

Visual impairment

Warrington Borough Council has a rehabilitation officer for visual impairment who supports people to carry out everyday tasks to increase or keep their independence.

The service aims to help people with poor vision to use their remaining vision and other senses as effectively as possible.

The specialist worker can visit you at home to find out the particular problems you face and offer advice and practical help on possible ways of dealing with them. You will be fully involved in the discussion and any decisions.

The sort of help and advice adult social care can offer includes:

  • Communication - handwriting, keyboard skills, Braille
  • Household tasks - safe use of household equipment, specialist equipment
  • Mobility - regaining confidence, getting to local shops and amenities, using public transport
  • Information - advice to family members to help their understanding of your problems, information on local services, raising awareness in schools, colleges and to social groups

A wide range of equipment is also available to help people with poor vision in their day to day lives.

Hearing loss

Warrington Borough Council provides services for people with a hearing loss as part of the sensory loss and telecare team.

They aim to provide a comprehensive and confidential service that is tailored to the needs of the person and will lead to an improvement in the quality of life of each individual.

Hearing loss services include:

  • Qualified and experienced social work staff, focusing on providing assessment and support to adults with the full range of hearing loss.
  • Specialist equipment workers: offering assessment, advice, support and where appropriate the provision of assistive technology equipment to people who have a hearing loss.
  • Support worker service: offering practical help with issues such as completing forms, help with telephone calls and clarification of letters and other correspondence.

They also have a list of highly qualified, self employed professionals who can provide interpreting support to deaf people as and when required.