Support for the armed forces community

Warrington Borough Council is committed to supporting serving armed forces personnel and veterans in Warrington. 

The Armed Forces Covenant

The Armed Forces Covenant aims to help you, as a member of the armed forces community, have the same access to government and commercial services and products as everyone else. This includes education, having a home, starting a new career, access to healthcare, financial assistance and discounted services. Find out more at On their website you can view businesses, organisations, employers and more who have pledged their support to the armed forces covenant, and what they have promised to do.

Support services and organisations

If you're a member of the armed forces community and live or work in Warrington, you can use this website to find details of services, organisations and other information to support you.

However the first place you may want to start is the Warrington Armed Forces Community Support Hub, which aims to bring together organisations and services into one place, including housing, employment, welfare, health, wellbeing and more. 

View all services for the armed forces community 

We've listed other available services and organisations by category:

Health and wellbeing

Local services

  • Veterans In Mind - mental health and psychological therapy service from the NHS, covering Cheshire/Merseyside. 
  • Happy OK Sad - Warrington's mental health awareness website. Go to the 'adults click here' section and scroll down to the link for military veterans.
  • CGL Pathways to Recovery - free, confidential help or advice with alcohol or drugs, based in Warrington.
  • Warrington Wellbeing Service - can help you get the information and support you need to start feeling back on track, whether it's money worries, health worries or anything else which is affecting your wellbeing. 

National services

  • Priority NHS treatment - Priority access to NHS hospital care for any condition related to your time in service.
  • Combat Stress - A UK military charity who can help if you're experiencing mental health problems. 

View all health and wellbeing services

Money, benefits and pensions

Local services

  • Warrington Credit Union - a non-profit-making organisation offering savings, loans and free, confidential money advice.
  • Council tax discounts - if you live in armed forces accommodation you don't have to pay council tax, but you must pay if you live in a privately owned or rented home. If you're deployed on operations overseas and you normally pay council tax, you can benefit from a tax-free payment called Council Tax Relief (CTR) which is paid directly by the Ministry of Defence.
  • Housing benefit and council tax support - the council's main website explains all the information you need including how to apply for housing benefit and council tax support.
  • Local Support Scheme - this fund is very limited but you may be able to apply in an emergency situation.
  • Budget boosting clubs - get help to manage your money, claim benefits you're entitled to, and get support with training, volunteering and working.

National services

  • Debt advice organisations - get independent help, advice and support if you're worried about debt.
  • Benefits for low income/out of work - everything you need to know about Universal Credit, including whether you're eligible and how to apply.
  • Benefits for families - if you have children, you may be entitled to Child Benefit, Tax Credits, help with childcare costs and more.
  • Benefits for carers and disabled people - if you're a carer, or you have an illness or disability, you may be entitled to Carer's Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance and more. 
  • Redundancy - if you've been made redundant from the armed forces, visit the GOV.UK website to calculate your redundancy benefits.
  • Compensation - you can claim claim compensation from the government if you were injured or got an illness while serving in the armed forces, including the reserves. This may be a lump sum, or a regular payment. 
  • Bereavement - there are several bereavement allowance schemes available to you if your husband, wife or civil partner has died, including Bereavement AllowanceBereavement Support PaymentsWidowed Parent Allowance, and/or a War Widow’s or Widower’s Pension.
  • PensionsVeterans UK is part of the MoD and can help you arrange and claim for all of the different types of pension schemes for veterans. The GOV.UK website also has information about the State Pension.

View all money and finance services


Local services

National services

View all homelessness services

View all housing advice services

Jobs, education and training

National services

View all education and work services

Shopping, travel and leisure

Local services

  • Livewire Warrington - during active service you claim two weeks free membership twice per year. If you live in Warrington, you can claim the corporate discount.
  • Blue badges - if you're disabled, a Blue Badge allows you to park legally near to places you need to visit

National services

  • Armed forces railcard if you're a member of the armed forces, or you're the husband, wife or child of someone who is, this railcard offers 1/3 discount on many routes
  • Defence Discount Service - online and high street discounts