Age UK Telephone Friendship
As we get older, we may find we spend more time on our own. This can sometimes feel lonely, boring or make us miss friends or family. If you or someone you know is missing the joy of regular conversation, Age UK and our partner charity The Silver Line can help. We offer free telephone friendship services so you can enjoy chatting with someone over the phone, all from the comfort of your own home. Whether you’d like to speak to someone every week, or just want to talk when the need strikes, we’re here to help.
We have two different telephone friendship services available:
- Regular telephone friendship service – we match over 60s with a friendly volunteer for a weekly chat. Our service has helped create hundreds of new friendships, and many people tell us their calls are the highlight of their week
- A 24-hour helpline service – this is run by our partner charity, The Silver Line. It’s a free 24-hour helpline which people can call for a chat, day or night. Whatever the reason, we’re here to listen
Our services are here for people in later life who’d like to talk to someone. You don’t need to be feeling lonely (though if you are, we’d like to help), and you don’t need to live on your own. Sometimes it’s just nice to talk.
To sign up for our regular telephone friendship service, where someone calls each week, you need to:
- Be over 60
- Have your own landline or mobile phone
- Be able to hear and be understood over the phone
- Commit to a regular call at the same time each week
Who to contact
- 0800 4 70 80 90