Child Support Agency - CSA - National Information

Extracted from

The CSA only handles existing cases. New applications are dealt with by the Child Maintenance Service.

Child maintenance is financial support towards your child’s everyday living costs when you’ve separated from the other parent.

You and your ex-partner can arrange child maintenance yourself if you can agree. This is called a ‘family-based arrangement’.

A family-based arrangement is a private way to sort out child maintenance. Parents arrange everything themselves and no-one else has to be involved.

Talk to Child Maintenance Options to get impartial information.

The Child Maintenance Service is for when you and the other parent can’t agree to a family-based arrangement.

The Child Maintenance Service can:

  • try to find the other parent if you don’t know where they live, to sort out child maintenance
  • sort out disagreements about parentage
  • work out how much child maintenance should be paid
  • arrange for the ‘paying’ parent to pay child maintenance - the parent who doesn’t have main day-to-day care of the child
  • pass payments on to the ‘receiving’ parent - the parent who has main day-to-day care of the child
  • look at the payments again when changes in parents’ circumstances are reported
  • review the payment amount every year
  • take action if payments aren’t made

Who to contact

0800 171 2033 - CSA helpline
0800 0835 130 - Child Maintenance options
0800 171 2248 - CSA Employer helpline
Child Maintenance on

Where to go

Child Maintenance Service or Child Support Agency (CSA)

Other details


Local/National Service?